@chrismessina Yeah I'd really like to see some info on how this is better than Duet Display which doesn't require a separate dongle
@chrismessina That’s a great question
Here are some ways in which Luna Display compares to Duet:
- We can drive all iPads at the full native Retina resolutions (Duet is limited to 1080p, and doesn’t necessarily fit the size of the iPad)
- The Mac sees Luna as a real display, so we are robust and reliable (Unlike Duet which requires software extensions that break very frequently)
- As a result of being a real display, we get complete GPU acceleration across all apps
- We have an ultra crisp picture on the display and are perceptually lossless
- Luna is much lower latency, 16 to 32ms on Wifi, (Duet uses AirPlay which is typically 32 to 64ms)
- Luna was built for Wifi from the beginning, we have a proprietary display protocol called Liquid that was built for low latency and high resolution on Wifi networks
For a comparison from a third party, check out this video done by iMore: https://youtu.be/wRpC2qII-gE?t=76
@chrismessina @mronge What if I already am driving another display? Dpes that work? And related, can you drive more than one Luna from a Mac?
@chrismessina @stoweboyd You can use Luna with other displays as well. In fact I'm driving a 5K LG and a 12.9" iPad Pro with Luna from my 2016 MacBook Pro right now.
And sadly, we only support one Luna at a time.
@chrismessina @stoweboyd @mronge As a long-time user of Duet that switched to a USB powered HDMI screen because the lag was too bad, I'm really keen to try this out.
@mronge @joshuapinter those differences sound pretty compelling. Pretty impressed you're able to get that kind of performance over a wireless connection!
@chrismessina I've been using Duet for a while now and I'm looking for a hardware solution instead. Because as many people said: the lag can be pretty bad and the resolution is typically 720p or 1080p that leaves blank 1/4 of the display at the bottom.
@chrismessina @mronge now that’s how you deliver an answer!
A good reason for me to buy the larger iPad. Awesome!
Great job!! Can this be ever used on Windows ? Cause duet display had that capability to do so !! I’m eagerly waiting for an Windows version
@ayush_chandra I came here wanting to say this as well. Why isn't there like an Windows and Android pairing solution out there... I'll keep my hopes up though given how Microsoft has been embracing android more and more.